Saturday, January 23, 2010


Hello to all my friends and family!

Australia is amazing so far. As you know, I do not fly well, and I was terrified that I would not survive the flight due to heart failure or lack of oxygen as a result of multiple panic attacks. And although my flights to both Dallas and Los Angeles were awful, the flight to Brisbane was amazing (also partly due to my Ambien, which I could not be more thankful for, Kelly!) Each seat had its own private television screen (set on the back of the seat in front of you), and the airline had an On-Demand type cable selection. There were choices of about 30-40 movies and 20-30 television shows, so I was able to catch up on Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I was pretty excited about.

My housemates are terrific. Lauretta and Dave could not be nicer if they tried, and George as well seems like he is going to be extremely easy to live with. As I was told, Dave is a tremendous cook. All we have had yet are burgers for lunch, but they were unlike any burger I have ever experienced. I do feel a little bad though, because Dave was born in the Czech Republic, and learned to speak English in Ireland, so I have the worst time trying to understand him! Lauretta ensures me that he is used to having to repeat himself and it does not bother him, but I'm not so sure... This is such a multi-cultural house... Lauretta was born in Sydney, Dave was born in Czech but knows Irish English, George has a Yankee sound, and I of course am representing the Southern drawl.

I am not nearly as nervous as I thought I might be. Lauretta and Dave are so personal and friendly, they make it very easy to adjust. Also, Lauretta said that since she moved to Brisbane, she has not had much time to travel, nor Dave, so they are very excited to take George and I sightseeing and on other adventures not too far away.

Although I can make phone calls pretty cheaply using Skype, the money still adds up. That and with trying to figure out time differences and when is best to call everyone, I figured that this would be the most efficient way of keeping in touch with everyone. I am going to try to update several times a week. I love you all very, very much, and I wish you could be here with me!

To Daddy and Kelly, please also give Layla a hug and a kiss for me, and make sure she knows I miss her as well!

Also, I do not know Nana or Papa's email address, can one of you forward this link to them?

No comments:

Post a Comment