Thursday, January 28, 2010


I have survived my first day as a teacher at Clairvaux MacKillop College. High schools here unlike anything I have ever seen in the States. Every two weeks, the teachers and the students are given a timetable which lays out for them what time they will go to which class for the ten day period. Every two weeks, a new one is given. There is absolutely no rhyme nor reason within each time table or between. The days vary from class to class with no pattern or consistancy. I am going to have extreme difficulties with this one.

The school also has a very different curriculum. Rather than having students take Algebra 1, then Geometry, then... etc., the students take Year 9 math, Year 10 math, ... etc., each being a mixture of the different branches of mathematics and increasing in difficulty with each year. A system I think the US could learn a lot from. I have been given charge of a Year 8 and a Year 12 to run completely alone and as I like. I cannot decide if I am more nervous or excited. It feels so amazing to be doing this. I feel as if I am finally in my element, and I am even more confident now with my career choice.

The students are extremely well behaved. I of course was asked several times where in the States I was from, had students try to copy my accent, and was asked if I owned a gun or if the KKK was still in existence. I really wanted to "give 'em the mickie", as they would say here, but I decided to not tease and just told them the truth. My supervising teacher introduced me as the "Yank" so I had to explain to everyone also that there is a difference! They stereotype just as we do... everyone in America to an Aussie is a Yank, apparently.

So much happened, I could go on for days, but I am worn completely out. Lauretta and Dave dropped George and I off at a mall earlier, and we missed our bus and ended up walking over 3 kM home. Sorry, I don't know the conversion rate and I'm too lazy to look it up right now :).

I miss you all very much, and next time I begin to post I'll make sure I'm not at the line between incoherency!

Oh... toilets do not flush the opposite way here.

3 comments:

  1. hmmm the math program there sounds like the math that I had in my HS... my school called it "integrated Math" 1-3...not very creative naming but it was similar to what you described, each year was a mixture of the different math "branches" building on each other but not studying one specific field each year. Senior year we would choose a specific field such as calulus etc. ps... about 1.5 miles home ;)

    Have a great time and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Lauren. How exciting! I will keep up with your blog to see how the adventure is going. Do you think I'm too old to go teach somewhere else in the world for a semester? Next time I get mad at Mike, just watch out!!! :-) andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha go for it!! I'm becoming very torn as to whether I want to come home or not... :) Please tell him hello for me!

    ReplyDelete