Monday, February 8, 2010

Week 2 winds down... Week 3 Begins


I finally a chance to get out by myself and explore the city this weekend. I got down into the city, got completely lost and roamed around, and it was absolutely amazing. Brisbane's downtown is a dichotomy between big city bustle and exotic, beautiful, peaceful landscapes. I spent around two hours perusing through markets, museums, and infinite bus stations to find myself in the middle of the Botanic Gardens, a complete oasis in the center of the skyscrapers and traffic. Once inside, the city of Brisbane disappears, and all you can hear or see are the noises and sights of the Gardens. Unfortunately, I got too carried away with myself there and got quite a nice sunburn. Good news is it faded pretty quickly.
School is also going well. For some reason today my Year 12s and Year 8s decided to completely switch personalities, so I had to deal with demonic 17 year olds and angelic 12 year olds. Oh, I had to work my first extra-curricular activity last week. This school is set up like Hogwarts. The school is divided in to six houses named after founders of Clairvaux MacKillop, and they each have their own color and symbol and they all compete against each other, only they get along better and they don't shoot spells or fly on brooms. They still get really into the competitions and house points, though. They had a "Swim Carnival" (a swim meet) last Tuesday, and all the teams swim against each other and have their own chants and what not. It was actually pretty fun. My house came in pretty far down :(. I am growing so attached to my fellow teachers and to the students, leaving is going to be so difficult! Well, so long as they start acting right again.

No comments:

Post a Comment